Sunday, November 17, 2013

Curly Hair omg omg omg

I have curly hair. I don't mean "slightly wavy", I mean, OMFG, it starts to re-curl about 10 minutes after straightening. I have CURLS.

Now if you have straight hair and envy curly hair, just close this window now. What follows may be hard to read if you've spent a lot of time and money trying to GET curly.

OK - the fundamental problem for me and my hair, is acceptance. My hair is curly. It will not be straight, barring heavy chemical sedation. I have learned to live with it; I had to decide how much time and effort to put into it, which determined whether to have short or long hair. I don't like spending a lot of time on it, so I have short hair. Then I had to learn to take good care of it. I need two things for good hair care:

1. A stylist who really REALLY knows how to cut curly hair. I just found one within a mile of my house, which is awesome! On me, a good cut will start to look raggedy after a couple of weeks. A GREAT cut looks good for 4 to 6 weeks. And then go regularly - the first time you look in the mirror and see -meh-, make the appointment that very second. Don't wait! You wear your hair every day. (Note: I still love The Hair God, but my address is NE, he works in SW - and if you know traffic around here ... If you are local, and the SW address doesn't make you cringe, and you have hair, ANY kind of hair, call me - I'll tell you where he practices his magic.)

2. Truly awesome conditioner. I can't use conditioner designed for straight hair. And if I see the word "volume" anywhere on the label, I run! Actually, I like to have several conditioners, depending on the weather (windy, rainy, sunny, dry, hot, humid). The label usually includes words like "curl," "smoothing," "taming,", or "control." Sometimes, I use more than one.

You can look great and still be a tomboy! Trust me. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment