Thursday, August 15, 2013

Makeup for Tomboys!

My criteria for makeup (and anything I put on my skin): it can NOT irritate my skin or feel "heavy." It MUST look natural. And, if it is simple, easy to apply, FAST, and it doesn't bust the bank, then it's ideal!

This is what works for ME. You will have to decide it works for you, this is just one way to spin it.

First, concealer to cover up the worst of the worst - undereye circles, little red blotches, the rare zit. I dab it on, smooth it out so it's thin. (approx. 15 seconds, tops)

Second, I fluff on mineral powder makeup - it's easy, fast, sheer, and looks natural. It was tricky to find one that didn't irritate my skin, but I did and I'm happy with it. Don't forget to fluff some onto the neck and ears. NOTE: I use a lighter color in winter, than I do in summer - I do have some tanning even with the SPF cream that I use. (another 15 seconds)

Third, blush - I use a very pale blush as it's better to layer it on till it looks right, than to overdo it. (10 seconds)

Fourth, eyeliner - again, layering it on lightly two or three times till it looks "right". I used a magnifying mirror at first. I do about the outer 2/3 of the upper lash - and the outer 1/2 of the lower lash if I want a heavier look. (with practice, this takes about 10 seconds - without, maybe 30)

Finally, a little gloss or lipstick - I have a few to use, depending on whether I want a more natural look, or to liven it up with some color. I sometimes use a smallish brush to sweep the color out to the corners. Blot to remove the excess. Note: gloss is more moisturizing, but doesn't last as long, as regular lipstick. (10 seconds)

Like anything else, you can absolutely make this more complicated, but this is my basic routine that I now do most days. At the most, this might take me 2 minutes. I've timed it, it's closer to a minute. This is dependent on having the right tools, like brushes. Also on having a good cleanser to remove the makeup at the end of the day.

And there's some part of this that you don't want to do? Hey, it's your face, do what makes you feel best! :-)

How to amp it up for special occasions? Mascara (which definitely takes some practice), eye shadow (start with a really neutral shade of you don't wear it often), and brighter lipstick.

Most people don't think I'm wearing makeup, till they see me without makeup (like at the gym, or hiking on the weekend). It's subtle, but it covers the small imperfections and highlights my better features. It feels very professional. g'wan -- give it a shot. It's easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment